Sunday, February 22, 2015

Lent idea - 40 Bags in 40 Days

Every year I attempt to give something up.  Very much like New Years resolutions I usually fail and then there is guilt with the failure.

This year I've decided to take part in the 40 Bags for 40 days challenge I saw on Facebook.
The basics are you Declutter and find a bag per day of lent and donate to those in need.
Items should be in good useable shape - (not garbage, no one wants trash)

Be ruthless, do you really need 4 veggie peelers? Or 4 white turtlenecks? 8 new boxes of crayons because they were 10/$1 in August and you needed 1 or 2?  Go through every closet - read a devotional of your choice before, or say the rosary, or just give a prayer of thanksgiving that you are fortunate enough to have extras to pass along to those without.

What if you get to day 30 and realize you can't Declutter any more? Pull out your coupons and raid your charitable donations envelope - pick up toothpaste, deoderant, bath soap bars, shampoo, detergent, toilet paper - items that WIC coupons and food-stamp cards rarely cover.  How about boxed cereal and shelf stable milk, tuna, crackers. Each bag counts.  I already know our minister is going to Haiti in March - I'm collecting items they are taking with them, children's chewable vitamins, prenatal vitamins, Tylenol, Imodium, tums & pregger tests (dollar store cashier gives odd looks at you when you buy 10) I have 2 paper grocery bags in the living room filling up (that's 2 days)

I'm off to a good start - I've got 3 bags of outgrown clothes from the youngest, 1 bag of children's books, 1 bag of business clothes that I shrank out of. These items are all going to a women's shelter in a small city near my kids school on Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment