Friday, June 26, 2015

Food Waste Friday

Jumping on MamaFish's bandwagon:


It's my first FoodWasteFriday post!

I have a confession - I'm not good about tracking my  Food Waste like I was a few years ago, partly because I have 2 growing teens that eat a LOT!
This week though this is what went into the trash as unedible. Trash day is Tuesdays.  I cleaned my pantry on Saturday though

From the pantry:

  • Half a large container of Fluff  it was a rock - bought last fall I think....no one likes it :-)
  • Half a box of cheapy spaghetti - why only half a box was cooked I don't know
  • 2 half boxes of no bake lasagna noodles - this made me mad
  • 1/2 pound of decaf ground coffee - smelled off/old
  • 8 packs of microwave popcorn (sell by date was 2011) I tried one as a snack - Yucko!  Oil was rancid
  • 1 cut steel cut oats (rancid smelling)
  • 1 large bottle of Kraft BBQ sauce (sell by date 2010) probably fine - but not a flavor we like (I have more of one we do and an awesome homemade recipie)
  • 2 bags of specialty pancake mix both dated 2012 and both have nuts in the mix....tossed without smelling for rancidness
  • 2 jars fat free turkey gravy - too risky dated 2011
  • 1.5 pounds brown rice dared April 15 but smelled very very rancid!  Have to store that in the freezer
  • 1 partial quart homemade granola from a relative (no one here liked the flavor)
  • 6 cans carnation evaporated milk (dated 2013) - bought for baking on super duper sale I'm sure...because I wanted to put the cans in recycling I shook the heck out of them then tried to pour them down the sink- there was about 1/2 inch of milk solids at the bottom that wouldn't reincorporate to the liquid.  My little experiment proved to me - unless they are giving it away, I will but what I need and can use before the coded date stamp.  YUCK!
From the Fridge:
  • 1/2 quart of vanilla yogurt (fuzzy)
  • 8 squishy strawberries
  • 1 cup green beans from dinner (last week?)
  • 1/2 entemans raspberry Danish - 
I will My goal is to be better this week - our composting has gone by the wayside since we will gave to relocate the garden next spring (none this year). My compost bin has always been in my garden - but we need to re-roof the shed next to it and that's where the dumpster needs to be :-/

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, that is NOT that bad considering that you did a huge pantry cleaning this week!! And, now you are set from this week forward right? =) Glad to see you are doing this with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete