It's my first FoodWasteFriday post!
I have a confession - I'm not good about tracking my Food Waste like I was a few years ago, partly because I have 2 growing teens that eat a LOT!
This week though this is what went into the trash as unedible. Trash day is Tuesdays. I cleaned my pantry on Saturday though
From the pantry:
- Half a large container of Fluff it was a rock - bought last fall I think....no one likes it :-)
- Half a box of cheapy spaghetti - why only half a box was cooked I don't know
- 2 half boxes of no bake lasagna noodles - this made me mad
- 1/2 pound of decaf ground coffee - smelled off/old
- 8 packs of microwave popcorn (sell by date was 2011) I tried one as a snack - Yucko! Oil was rancid
- 1 cut steel cut oats (rancid smelling)
- 1 large bottle of Kraft BBQ sauce (sell by date 2010) probably fine - but not a flavor we like (I have more of one we do and an awesome homemade recipie)
- 2 bags of specialty pancake mix both dated 2012 and both have nuts in the mix....tossed without smelling for rancidness
- 2 jars fat free turkey gravy - too risky dated 2011
- 1.5 pounds brown rice dared April 15 but smelled very very rancid! Have to store that in the freezer
- 1 partial quart homemade granola from a relative (no one here liked the flavor)
- 6 cans carnation evaporated milk (dated 2013) - bought for baking on super duper sale I'm sure...because I wanted to put the cans in recycling I shook the heck out of them then tried to pour them down the sink- there was about 1/2 inch of milk solids at the bottom that wouldn't reincorporate to the liquid. My little experiment proved to me - unless they are giving it away, I will but what I need and can use before the coded date stamp. YUCK!
- 1/2 quart of vanilla yogurt (fuzzy)
- 8 squishy strawberries
- 1 cup green beans from dinner (last week?)
- 1/2 entemans raspberry Danish -
I will My goal is to be better this week - our composting has gone by the wayside since we will gave to relocate the garden next spring (none this year). My compost bin has always been in my garden - but we need to re-roof the shed next to it and that's where the dumpster needs to be :-/