Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Inexpensive fix



Our patio fireplace!  It's some sort of metal, my mom's neighbor was moving a few years ago and gave it to mom for me.  It was in great shape - not sure there was ever a fire in it then.  We've used if some over the years and I noticed that it was getting some fine rust in the finish.  The original was a dull silvery finish.  A quick trip to the hardware store in the next town and I was in business.  I talked to the men there (none under 60) they reccomended this product.  Good for wood stoves and grills!  
Yesterday I wire brushed it off, today I used one of the 2 cans I bought and when it's totally dry I will light a fire to heat cure it.  I'm seeing the overspray on the concrete...whoops....hopefully a little steel wool later will fix that.  We were out of newspaper to lay down and I was in a rush to get it painted while it's not hot and humid.

After I hit it there was a bit left in the can so I touched up our 17 year old grill too.this time I was smarter and grabbed some painter tape and papers from the recycle bin





Top is before...bottom is after with the shiney part still wet

4 comments:

  1. love those knids of quick fixes: quick to do, fairly inexpensive, extends the life/lives of possessions. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks to Ms Sandie - there is photographic evidence :-)

      Delete
  2. It looks great! And I love that you were able to use up the can on the grill too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT PHOTOS! Glad I could help. :)

    ReplyDelete