Monday, September 21, 2015

Dry milk. Trying Something New

Stopped at Walmart on the way home this morning. Youngest used the last of the milk this morning. 
Bought a gallon of 1% for them to drink. 
Want to make bread for dinner in the bread maker today and my recipie calls for dry milk. I know I'm nearly out on it so I stop in the baking aisle to buy a box - they were out of carnation brand!  Not wanting to risk it buy a big box of another brand at $8  (I use Sanalac usually - my mom buys it at the commissary and I repay her).  There weren't even any carnation envelopes!  What to do?  

I was prepared to walk out without the dry milk and skip bread making. 

Then I walked by the aisle with the Hispanic foods ( yes, the store labled the aisle Hispanic foods) remembered I have been meaning to check the canned Goya bean price (that Brand are yummy canned beans) there was Powdered milk!    Now it is whole milk and Sanalac is powdered skim but it's a name brand company I know. They sell a BIG canister for 15.98 and this small one for $4.98. I'm going to give it a whirl!  I tend to use dry milk where I can in baking this will definitely up the fat & calories in my baking but if it works the price is great.

I also try using dry milk in making my white sauce magic mix ( see www.everydayfoodstorage.net for instructions)

Since this is dry whole milk I will be storing it in the freezer once it is opened. Just to keep it as fresh as possible. 

1 comment:

  1. I got a sample of Nido a few years ago, good product.

    ReplyDelete