Thursday, January 14, 2016

Improv before restock

I'm a huge fan of improv....
Today I wanted to make vegetarian chili in the crockpot....well it turned into veggie chili since I'm out of ground turkey.
As I hunted through the pantry for 2 big cans of crushed tomatoes I found I was out - good and bad.
Good since that means my trip to shop rite will be most productive, bad because I thought I would have to use my smaller cans of diced tomatoes (I use those to stretch jarred pasta sauce and am down to 3)
Well after pulling out the cans of beans I needed (good stock rotating dinner) I saw 2 big cans of whole tomatoes.

Time to use those up and try out the food processor bowl on the ninja.  The ones in juice I dumped in a pulsed until they were like crushed....the ones in purée I blended

Now it's all cooking away in the crockpot.  The plan is to serve this pantry clean out Dinner with corn waffles tonight

3 comments:

  1. Cleaning out the pantry is always a good plan because going to the store and getting more things just covers up what is already there. I got a bunch of canned tomatoes and others on sale and used a coupon to get them free. I actually ran out of tomato paste and I was trying to make due with diced and crushed tomatoes. I threw a bunch into the blender but I am refusing to buy paste until I use up all the other tomatoes. I love how it brings out the creativity. Super interested in corn waffles. Do you use corn bread and put it in the waffle maker or do a waffle recipe with some corn meal. I think that sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn waffles are a total cheater for me....I use jiffy corn muffin mix....
    The directions are on the side of the box. Good toasted with butter too, if there are any left over - rare here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that--go in to make something and have to keep changing according to what I have. I don't mind because I am the only one to eat it most days, so if it is a different version of what I planned. Exbf eats whatever I fix when he is here, so no pickiness in his eating habits.

    ReplyDelete