Saturday, April 1, 2017

Spring cleaning dilemma

Happy April 1st
Mother Nature tried to mess with us by sending a little snowy rainy stuff at us today - thankfully none stuck near us. A damp and raw day.

It's spring and that means spring cleaning time - we desperately need to do a huge clean out. Several work, school and volunteer projects find us with boxes that are used to tote things back and forth to events.  Boxes that can't fit back into the places they came from etc.....I'm ready to watch an episode or two of hoarders so my house feels cleaner - ha ha ha

All seriousness aside, we have April break coming up at the end if this week and I've told the kids they owe me 90 minutes each day each kid with a big wee hour /sort of the house.  They want the basement as a hang out place - they need to help clean it up.  Mostly it's put things away where they belong - but, I'm feeling the need to do some purging.  Same goes for hubby and I on the clean and purge. I've specifically asked that he not plan any family day trips or events during this time.  Oldest has some big projects to do for Classes so we really need to stay home.  Plus we really can't afford a trip.   Clutter seems to multiply like rabbits here.  Seriously - overnight it just happens - not sure how.

Today I've started a little bit on my closet & dresser.  Sorted through all my shorts, donating all the ones that fit weird last year or were a little to short but I kept anyway and never wore since they felt too short.  Same with a couple of my dresses and suits that no longer suit me.  I started a thing this winter with socks - I love cute socks, well I didn't buy any at all this year.  I was gifted some in my X as stocking by my sister and I love those.  My new thing is to wear the others out.  Sadly I've had to toss a few pair since I actually wore holes in them.  In years past I would have bought replacements ASAP, but not this year.  Just wore different ones.  I'm ashamed to say I've done the same with underclothes too.  It's part of my weeding out system - especially since those are t things that can be donated like t-shirts and shorts.  Tomorrow will be shirts and sweaters.  I have a tub of things started that will be up cycled into a new life (jeans with frayed cuffs or inner thighs that will be potholders and 2skitrs that need shortening)

Oldest has a stack of undershirts that don't fit and are a bit yellowed at the pits - they will get cut up for garage rags.  They work great for that - especially when hubby cleans tools, just toss them out since they get really greasy.  Youngest's clothes usually get donated since there has been rapid growth. 

All of these things cost me nothing & im hoping once done will being me a huge feeling of relief

Is anyone else spring cleaning?

5 comments:

  1. It has been raining here so cleaning out the garage is a no go but I have warned everyone who no longer lives here that they need it gone by May 1st or I will donate, sell or trash! I have gone through my closet and drawers and thinned out my already thin wardrobe but I will fix that. The next thing that needs to be organized is the hall closet. Even with just three of us it seems to go out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been raining here so cleaning out the garage is a no go but I have warned everyone who no longer lives here that they need it gone by May 1st or I will donate, sell or trash! I have gone through my closet and drawers and thinned out my already thin wardrobe but I will fix that. The next thing that needs to be organized is the hall closet. Even with just three of us it seems to go out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to get a little of the spring cleaning itch as well. There is a lot of extra stuff around that needs decluttering! This week is the last week of school for us before break and I would like to get a good chunk done before they are out - because I know I'll be doing some extra driving/having kiddos here. I would have the girls clean their rooms but, thankfully, I had cracked the whip a couple of weeks ago and their rooms are still (relatively) presentable. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in the unpacking phase, which does involve decluttering. We got rid of a ton before we moved, but now that we are unpacking, & seeing everything put away, I've found at least 10 things to toss or donate in the last few days. Progress! Good luck with your purging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been decluttering and donating and tossing for sometime now and it still is a mess. I find so many items that I have no idea why they were bought and for what use. Dh always blames me for most of the mess, but when I start digging in I find alot of things he has put in places that you wouldn't find them easily and he doesn't need them and hasn't looked at them in years. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete